Last week, driving through Germany, I was grateful for our navigation system. We knew where we wanted to go. Getting there was another matter.
Without it, who knows where we might have ended up? Somewhere beautiful, probably. Just nowhere near where we intended.
We entered our destination, and the system created a route. Which roads to take. How far to travel on each one. Where to turn. How long the trip should take. But what caught my attention was what happened when we went off course.
It recognized the gap immediately and adjusted the route. It didn’t wait until we were miles in the wrong direction. It didn’t wait until we were completely lost. It gave us the next turn.
I’ve been thinking about how often we approach our lives with a destination in mind and very little thought about the route.
Every January, we declare where we want to go. Get healthier. Strengthen our marriage. Grow in our faith. Finally write that book. Those are meaningful destinations. But when Monday morning arrives, what changes? What goes on the calendar? What will we do differently when we’re tired, distracted, or overwhelmed?
Stephen Covey’s “Begin with the end in mind” gives us an essential starting point. We need to know where we’re headed. Then we need to work out how to get there.
A goal names the destination. A plan gives us the next turn.
A navigation system connects where we are with where we want to be. It breaks the journey into manageable segments and estimates the time required. As information becomes available, it accounts for delays and hazards: construction, accidents, dangerous weather.
Our plans need that same honesty. What time do we actually have? What might get in the way? What will we do when the week doesn’t unfold as expected?
If I want to grow closer to God, I need to make room for prayer and Scripture in the life I’m actually living. If I want a stronger marriage, I need to give Charlotte my time and attention. If I want to get healthier, I need to decide what I’ll do today. Then I need to pay attention.
That was the other lesson from Germany. The navigation system kept checking our progress while we drove. It compared our actual location with the route and responded when they no longer matched.
How often do we do that? A missed workout becomes a missed month. A crowded week becomes a season without meaningful conversation. We keep intending to return to what matters, while the distance grows.
There’s grace in recognizing that gap early. We can tell the truth about where we are, adjust the plan, and take the next step. We can also hold our plans humbly, asking God to shape our direction as we go.
It’s October. We don’t need to wait for January to look at the route again.
Think about one goal that matters to you. Where are you today? What’s your next turn? When will you check whether you’re still on course?
Enjoy the journey. Give yourself a route to follow—and room to recalculate.

No comments:
Post a Comment