Monday, February 19, 2018

Strength in Weakness

I would rather get lost than ask for directions, and I’m not alone.  Truth is, many people hate to not only ask for directions, but we tend to avoid asking for help wherever possible. Since our earliest childhood attempts to walk, we’ve been conditioned to be self-sufficient. Many of us view asking for help as a sign of weakness, but nothing could be further from the truth.



 
Sometimes it’s Easy to Ask
When I started training for my first Ironman triathlon, I had no cycling experience, I couldn’t swim at all, and I had sustained a running injury that led medical professionals to tell me to never run again. Attempting such an endeavor was not only improbable, it seemed impossible.  I couldn’t possibly succeed without help.  I enlisted the help of a tri coach, a separate swim coach, and a nutrition coach. It was pretty obvious I couldn’t do this on my own.  I needed to stand on the shoulders of giants and seek help from those who had gone there before me.

Sometimes it’s Hard to Ask
Things aren’t always that clear.  Just five years earlier, I was overweight with high blood pressure, high triglycerides, high cholesterol, high sugar, and in the high-risk category for heart disease. Thankfully my doctor looked me in the eye and gave me life-transforming advice. He didn’t mince words. He very clearly told me that I was overweight, I was a high risk for heart attack, and I needed to take action, immediately. While still in his office, he told me he was stepping out for a few minutes and that I needed to “call Tony.” He meant that I needed to call Team Beachbody and buy Tony Horton’s P90X program.  I didn’t really want the advice, but he gave it to me in no uncertain terms. 

We’re All Equally Imperfect
We all have one thing in common - we’re imperfect.  How many times have you gone to church and looked at the perfect family?  How many times have you gone to the gym and seen the muscular guy or the toned girl with the seemingly perfect bodies?  How many times have you come across someone who just seemed to have it all together?  I assure you, in each case, that person has issues, flaws, struggles, and challenges that you don’t see.  We’re human, we’re broken, we’re flawed, and we’re all equally imperfect.  Furthermore, we all need help.

The Greatest Moment
My weakest moment came when I was struggling through a horrific project at work, a number of family struggles, financial challenges, and health issues. I was clearly failing, and I didn’t see a way out.  Until… one Sunday morning, I heard a message that said, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness” ~2 Cor 12:9.   It was a message that told me we were meant to live in community, to support each other, to lean on each other, to ask for help, and to help.  It was a humbling message that empowered me to drop on my knees and ask for help.

My Challenge to You
Indeed, my greatest moment of strength came when I was humbled and begging for help.  Maybe it's your turn.  Need help with your health or weight, seek a nutritionist.  Need help with exercise, seek a trainer.  Need help with the bigger questions in life, visit a reputable, Bible-based church. Whatever it is, set your ego aside, humble yourself, and ask for help. It might be your greatest moment of strength too.


Welcome to the new you.  Enjoy the journey... 

Check out Enjoy the Journey on Amazon.com at  https://goo.gl/G9BM8O
Learn more about Dave VanEpps or request a speaking engagement at www.davevanepps.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Zone

Only 19 miles to go to the finish line. I just need to focus, one step at a time, pace, form, hydration, nutrition… hey there’s a bird!  Bac...